Saturday, December 30, 2017

The Image.


The reason why I am partial to the term 'handsome' in part has to do with my gut-rejection of all things saccharine cute. I suspect it has a lot to do with not only the early exposure to Barbie with that hot pink color, but to that day when my parents decided it's a good idea to take me to Sanrio Land--yes, the Hello Kitty version of Disney. Imagine. 

As a reaction I have always avoided pink like the plague and opted for blue--I did not like Hello Kitty, I chose the blue owl called Pata Pata Peppy. 

I believe it was around sixth grade or so, I came across a comic book for girls with the title, "the handsome girl." It had less of that wait for the prince on a white horse to take you to the land of happily ever after vibe, it didn't have the deadening passivity of plucking the flower petal to figure if he will call or not call, for which I utterly had no patience. I was always the one who spoke too quickly, the one who wanted to figure things out instead of patiently waiting. I wanted to cut to the chase, not ponder and yearn and interpret deep meaning into a guy's action which I swear on most occasion had no meaning whatsoever to it (why did he sit next to me at that moment? he probably couldn't care less). 

I forgot most of the story plot, but the main character was distinct from pretty or cute. The etymology of the term handsome comes from being agreeable to the eye, fit, appropriate, and of course the question of "to whom" is one agreeable is always an issue, but at least when I was immersed in the story, there seemed to be less yearning for approval by others of one's value, and more of an elegance that can be achieved when one is trotting about in a crisp but considered attire. 

In contemporary term the image was more akin to a woman who would be wearing Phoebe Philo's Celine. Effortless, but also considered. 

To be sure I am in no position to afford Celine (and she just left Celine, so it will be no more), but as an inspiration it will always have a special place. 

So that is "the image" when it comes to the term handsomeness and handsome things. 

I'm departing from the previous focus I had and am experimenting with a new mode of tracking my reflection on the daily finds. But as a new beginning I figured it would be only appropriate to first start with the photo I used to pin on the wall in my previous, previous, previous apartment, before so many relocation and dislocation. The picture must be stored somewhere if not lost, I no longer have it with me, but here it is. My image of handsomeness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment